Ask a man 10 years ago how he takes care of his skin and appearance, and the likely response would have been a laugh, strange look, or a remark about that being “woman’s business!”.- Fast forward to 2014, and the response is much different. Taboo male treatments have been embraced by men with more and more utilizing the wide range of treatments available to them. A catalyst for this change has been the emergence of ‘metrosexual’ celebrity icons such as George Clooney, David Beckham, Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds. Put simply, it is no longer just women’s business!
Everyone is doing it, but no one talks about it
Men increasingly adopt cosmetic and skin care treatments with a recent survey conducted by global market research provider Mintel suggesting that 52% of males have used professional care services and 38% of men aged between 18–24 have used facial or body treatments. In the past, it has been a case of “do it but don’t talk about it”, but a significant shift in acceptance over recent years has meant that men are happy to discuss their use of personal care service.
Men only choose treatments for maintenance concerns
With such as range of treatments available to men, we are seeing the primary motivators for utilization of these treatments as anti-aging, increased self-esteem, personal hygiene and general appearance. The triggers can be different to women, but no less important. Let’s take for example, a 49 year old business man competing in the competitive corporate world, who are afraid of being phased out by their younger, “better looking” counterparts. This alone has contributed to the rise for non-surgical procedures for men. Men want to look fresh, stress-free and well rested, so that their peers trust they have the stamina to go the distance.
Most common treatments for men
- Laser Hair Removal is fast, effective and affordable. The most common areas treated for men include areas such as ears, fingers, backs, chests, arms and yes – the male bikini area!
- Anti-aging injectables are being use for a wide range of reasons. For example, anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers are used to reduce lines and wrinkles to the areas of the mouth, eyes and forehead. A simple but important concern such as “My wife thinks I am angry when I am not!” can be a relationship saver!
- Cosmetic Injectables can also be utilized to stop/reduce severe sweating. Men often choose this treatment called Hyperhidrosis to stop what they feel is embarrassing underarm sweating.
- Microdermabrasion is a treatment that exfoliates the dull and dead surfaces of the skin. It is an effective treatment to boost collagen, reduce fine lines and stop acne.
- MaxRF is a treatment that incorporates dermal stamping with RF technology to target areas like acne scarring, redness, open pores, fine lines and wrinkles. It assists to tighten the skin and combat anti-aging and works extremely effectively with microdermabrasion treatments.
- Laser Rejuvenation is increasingly popular as men look to combat pigmentation and redness. As men look to wind back the years and damage caused by Australia’s harsh sun, laser rejuvenation is becoming the treatment of choice.
Please note that this post has been sponsored. However, all opinions expressed by the writer are genuine and in their own words.
Australian Skin Clinics is one of Australia’s leading cosmetic and aesthetic clinics with five locations throughout Brisbane. With a wide range of services to suit both men and women of any age or skin type, Australian Skin Clinics are specialists in male treatments offering high quality and affordable services to capture any desire.
This month, we are celebrating men at Australian Skin Clinics! For male bookings you can receive 50% off your chosen laser or skin treatment service by quoting “StyleMag” when you make a booking.
If you are among the few who have not tried one of our popular treatments, or a regular user, make the call to your nearest clinic or visit our website at